Arisia 2017

Arisia 2017

I managed to survive another Arisia sci fi convention despite having a lingering head cold, a large lack of sleep, and a pretty decent intake of booze. Thankfully attending Arisia is nothing new to me so I was well aware and somewhat prepared for it. Considering I only had one panel to be on, this year was a cake walk compared to the ones I had attended in the past as part of the Rocky Horror cast that performs at the convention every year.

I checked in late Friday afternoon and it was a breeze. I had everything I needed and was up in my room in under twenty minutes. After settling in for a bit I went to visit some friends in the rocky cast room on the floor above me for a couple hours. They were gracious enough to feed me and pour some booze down my throat before I made my way back to my room. I had been considering a nap before going down to see their show at midnight, that didn’t end up happening.

Arisia 2017bar

(my mini bar for the evening)

Instead of a nap there was a blur of people in and out of my room, most of which I knew and liked. That was followed by me and some folks who will remain nameless wandering the halls of the hotel late into the night. Eventually I ended up talking to one of my oldest and dearest friends until about 5 am before finally falling asleep/passing out around 6 am.


My panel was Saturday at 1pm and I almost missed it because of the wonderment and joy of the previous evening. I managed to drag myself out of bed and stumble down to the panel. I even managed to be a couple minutes early. The panel was a discussion of the movie Deadpool and for the first time I wasn’t nervous or anxious. It went well and we had a lot of fun trying to find something bad to say about a movie that we all truly enjoyed. We never did really come up with anything. I would’ve liked to have gotten on a couple more panels, maybe something writing related, but I at least got on something I enjoyed.

I spent the rest of the day up in my room recovering from the night before and watching the Patriots game. Around 12 30 am some friends that had stopped by the night before came by again and we had a great time hanging out talking and drinking until almost 4 30 am. I had been planning on going to bed after the game but I had a lot more fun instead.

After coming to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to fall asleep anytime soon I packed up my stuff and checked out around 7 am. I grabbed a coffee and picked my wife up from work when she got out at 7 30 am. I spent Sunday recovering. I’m hoping it was the end of the head cold that dragged me down otherwise I may have to work on training to better handle next years Arisia. All in all it was the most fun I’ve had at that con in a few years and I hope next year is just as good!

Back to work with me,



Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Answer question to prove your not an spam monkey. *